Saturday, August 30, 2008

Naomi loves "gussert"

Naomi has been bugging me for a few days to make some cookies. Now I LOVE cookies, but not too sure about the whole process of making them because there always seems to be something else around here that needs doing. Plus, I eat too many when I bake them. Friday I had a good excuse for not making them: we had already had icecream that day, and everybody knows we don't need to eat icecream and cookies in the same day. So yesterday, after she had eaten nearly all her dinner and wanted to know what was for "gussert" I looked at her blankly...I wasn't in the mood for more cooking at 8:00 at night. But she insisted with that annoying whine that accompanies many of her wants... and I remembered I had prepared for this moment a few days ago at the grocery store! I ran out to the refrigerator in the garage as she disappeared upstairs. She returned with her kids baking kit in hand prepared to help. She was ready to measure, pour, and stir..instead I plopped the refrigerated Nestle cookie dough package on the counter. There was a look of disappointment on her face. There would be no measuring, pouring or stirring. There would only be cutting the squares apart and plopping them on a cookie sheet. There would only be setting the timer and waiting for the buzzer. She was deflated, I could tell, but I told her its these or nothing. In the end there were warm oatmeal raisin cookies to nibble on while watching TV. And she was lucky, she got 3. Generous, huh? Well, I watched her feed part of #3 to Ruby-T-Dog, and that's when I knew she had had enough. And maybe we'll make real cookies tomorrow.

No comments: